[OSM-talk] neighbourhoods and suburbs

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Dec 23 12:55:58 GMT 2008

Hi James,

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:45:48 +0000, James Stewart <j.k.stewart at ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
> I am adding the names of areas of cities, towns and villages. The only
> way of marking these (at least without drawing the exact boundary) is
> with the tag 'place=suburb'. However there are at least 2 different
> levels of subdivisons in cities - in the case of Madrid there are
> Districts and Neighbourhoods (Barrios).

In London I have just used hamlet/village/town to denote these different
kinds of centres/areas. Others seem to follow this approach too.

It's obviously not strictly speaking correct, and I've no idea if anyone
has reviewed them all to see if there is a consistent application. I tend
to just go by factors like the size of the shopping area, administrative
importance etc. to judge if it should be a hamlet/village/town.

The solution would be to have several levels of suburb with guidelines.

Regards,
Tom