[OSM-talk] google wms

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Wed Dec 24 09:58:11 GMT 2008

Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> apologies if this has been brought up before, but some people I have brought
> into OSM have stumbled across this site:
> http://www.peterdamen.com/GoogleWMS/
> and were all set to pollute the OSM database when I stopped them. Can we not
> convince this gentleman to cease and desist?

Persuading the author to put up a big reminder at the top of the page
saying "OSM users: please upload only to private osm-api servers" or
somesuch might be more useful. The tool is presumably useful outside OSM!

Alternatively, expand created_by to list WMS layers used during the
creation / editing of an object, by URL. Can't really blacklist local
wms servers, but it'd help us excise infringing data from/and bad
mappers later on.

I'd say BAN JOSM at this point, but I really quite like the flexibility.

--
Andrew Chadwick