[OSM-talk] Where have all the contributors gone?

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Dec 31 06:49:36 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 31 Dec 2008 12:02:01 pm brendan barrett wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Tanveer Singh <tanveer1979 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> what is sad about it? In India only the very big cities have yahoo
> >> imagery - and work is going on fairly well there. The rest of the
> >> country is a big blank, and GPS instruments are not all that affordable.
> >> As the price falls, things will improve.
>
> "and work is going on fairly well there"
>
> I wonder who decides what the correct "pace" is?

all I can say is that it is much faster than last year and not as fast as next
year ;-)

> If it were up to me
> i'd like the whole world mapped at street level yesterday. I'd prefer
> to accelerate the process as much as possible so that we can start
> mapping other things... or better yet, help out in other useful
> related projects. I'm never one to be satisfied with the way things
> are, and hence hold back. The sooner everything that's in Yahoo
> imagery is mapped, the sooner we can put that behind us and move to
> the next step (focusing on rural data perhaps? - not that is has to be
> done separately:P).

there is a guy in Germany who has been tracing a lot of Indian cities -
although I am a bit ambivalent about the results. Sure, the roads *are* being
traced, but without names and also with guesses as to the road type. I
sometimes wonder whether it is easier to delete and remap this than to
correct what is done. I feel it is better to stick to mapping rivers, lakes
and other features than to map roads without being familiar with the area.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves