[OSM-talk] Where have all the contributors gone?

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 07:35:22 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> there is a guy in Germany who has been tracing a lot of Indian cities -
> although I am a bit ambivalent about the results. Sure, the roads *are* being
> traced, but without names and also with guesses as to the road type. I
> sometimes wonder whether it is easier to delete and remap this than to
> correct what is done. I feel it is better to stick to mapping rivers, lakes
> and other features than to map roads without being familiar with the area.

I'm am also a bit unsure. But having an initial draft of the roads in
the DB does have some advantages. Then can you survey with a mobile
device or a printed copy of the map and know how where to look for
unnamed streets. And gosmore may use a thoroughfare that locals are
not used to, forcing them to investigate. Frederik's idea of the
current DB being a placeholder for the "final" DB.

IMHO roads (even unnamed roads) are much more valuable than rivers,
railway lines and building outlines.