[OSM-talk] Template:<Key> and Template:<Tag> pages in OSM-Wiki

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 00:13:11 GMT 2008

On 04/02/2008, Hakan Tandogan <hakan at gurkensalat.com> wrote:
> Actually, I'm talking about creating a Map_Features page where new
> values for given keys (e.g. "highway", "shop") appear. The only part I'm
> complaining is that the Template only allows the "approved" values
> whereas I'd like it to show the approved ones first and the "semi-legal"
> ones after a divider line.

ok, i'm not sure i follow. what are semi-legal tags? or rather, what
makes a tag semi-legal?

> > no, i think it's a matter of time. every tag needs text explaining
> > it's use, even if it's only to refer to a generic page which covers 20
> > similar tags (say for 'shop').
>
> Yes, but in that case, the generic page would be the "Tag:shop" page
> itself. You have to find a middle point between too many sub-pages (too
> many clicks to get at the information, can't print it on one long page,
> etc.) and too long main pages.

right, i see got you. i would guess it's a combination of things,
mainly lack of resources.

if you think it needs a page to clarify it, it probably does. i've
been discussing this recently for the landuse tag, and there are a few
others that need clearing up that i will start on at some point.