[OSM-talk] correctly mapping avenues

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Sun Feb 10 13:14:39 GMT 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:21:46PM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I'm a bit unhappy about needlessly inflating the importance of the
> direction of ways. Long-term, I would actually like to get rid of the
> direction and express everything in relations. The reasons for this
> are

Hehe. The last time I said on #osm "we got rid of segments, now
let's get rid of ways" I met stiff resistance :)

But moving to relationship will not help you getting rid of
direction : to represent a way you need to order your nodes and
order implies direction.

> (a) the direction is too easily changed, sometimes by mistake

That is a problem with the editors. I think we are in a good position
to improve on this.

> (b) there might be multiple conflicting things that rely on the
>     direction, e.g. a road that is oneway from A to B but has a
>     slope from B to A

That is why we have oneway=-1

cu bart