[OSM-talk] place=country/nation/state

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org
Mon Feb 18 13:06:32 GMT 2008

El Lunes, 18 de Febrero de 2008, Robin Paulson escribió:
> i was looking for a tag to name new zealand, and it appears there are
> no tags for places at this high level, at least in potlatch, or here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:place
>
> is there any consensus on this?
>
> has anyone made any attempt to distinguish between nation, state,
> country, etc. in the context of osm?

Yes, but with no conslusive results. We still have hamlets in the map features
list.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country
>
> would this be a better place to start?

No. *This* is the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclature_of_Territorial_Units_for_Statistics
or
http://ec.europa.eu/comm/eurostat/ramon/nuts/introannex_regions_en.html

I really like the NUTS system, as it is politically neutral, and balanced
between different countries. IMHO, OSM should have a similar classification
system.

The downside of NUTS is that it is only well-defined for the EU. For the rest
of the world countries, a parallel classification would be needed.

Anybody care to draft something for a feature proposal?

There is also this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_administrative_country_subdivisions_by_country

Which can suggest a correlation between countries.

Cheers,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org>

MSN:i_eat_s_p_a_m_for_breakfast at hotmail.com