[OSM-talk] Parking symbols: YUCK!

Martijn Verwijmeren cartinus at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 24 00:06:15 GMT 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:30:52 +0100
Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Indeed.
> >
> > That's why I think it needs the Mapnik approach in Osmarender, if
> > this detection is indeed what Mapnik is doing.
>
> I think Mapnik has some kind of "collision avoidance" that possibly
> springs in here; it doesn't explicitly recognize that there are two
> symbols meaning the same so one of them is redundant, it just
> recognizes there are two symbols vying for space and only one gets
> through.

Yes, this is why you often only see one P-icon.

Around the "Jaarbeurs" in Utrecht you can see several parking lots
where the parking node was placed off-centre. This is from pre-AND
data, so it is quite old. In addition AND didn't know parking areas but
only nodes and they had to be part of a way. So there are a lot of
parking icons there (for four lots). On the dutch tileserver you can see
I cleaned up the icons on the west-side this week.

m.v.g.,
Cartinus