[OSM-talk] Parking symbols: YUCK!

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 13:35:37 GMT 2008

J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> Lester Caine skrev:
>
>> Do you have to re-write the renderer every time someone comes up with
>> a new conflict?
>
> Short answer : Yes.
>
> Long answer : The renderer operates on a subset of the data contained in
>  the DB. It is up to the operator of the renderer to extract and
> possibly massage that data into a format that the renderer can utilize.
> It is not the place of the renderer to impose limitiations or rules into
> what is in the DB, since the the DB is/might/will be used for other
> tasks than just rendering maps.
>
> This is similar to the previous discussion this month, where someone
> wanted to impose limitations on what charactersets could be used for
> tagnames.

Should never have been discussed - Unicode has to be used even if there is an
arbitrary limit of English tag names - the content has to be unicode and
mixing that with anything else is simply crass.

> All together now, repeat this months mantra after me : "Implementing
> non-DB technical limitations and rules for content in the DB is bad,
> recommendations and smarter algorithms in renderers are good."

Bullshit.
TAGGING as laid out in the wiki are all rules for content but as yet they do
not provide a consistent USABLE base once one moves away from the basic road
stuff. And even the base road stuff people are trying to change the rules!

See my other message about the area/node conflict. This problem arises
everywhere that node and area options exist for a tag and there needs to be
AGREEMENT on how the conflict is handled. Some people using different methods
of handling it for different tags is no use to anybody so lets decide ONE way
of handling the conflict and stick to it. Personally I have no particular
feeling anyway, but a logical means if identifying a SINGLE list of parking
places ( for example - but any node/area rag! ) is just common sense.

This is just a simple case of how do you identify a set of tags UNLESS there
is agreement about how a tag is used. *IF* we are going to allow both node and
area tags for the same item then we need to ensure that they ARE returning the
same data but some logical method of ensuring that the node and area returns a
CONSISTENT set of answers is essential otherwise we have anarchy.

LOGICALLY - there should never have been a problem created. A POI element
should consist of a single entity which may have additional area information.
Even those tags that are currently only defined as 'node' in many cases WILL
be expanded to include area information at some point. So PLEASE can we have
some sensible method of identifying PAIRS of tags so we can THEN decide what
to do with them !!!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL