[OSM-talk] Continuous audio in JOSM on tracks without waypoints

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Feb 24 23:42:29 GMT 2008

On 24/02/2008 22:16, 80n wrote:
> David
> I gave it a try today.  The results were excellent.

Do you have any feeling for how accurate the timer on your audio was by
the end of the session?

> I have some feedback:
> 1) I found synchronising to be a bit tricky the first time you do it.
> This wasn't helped by the fact that I had 20 minutes of tracks before I
> started the audio recorder.  I've updated the wiki with what I hope are
> clearer and better instructions.

That was only relevant to the non-waypoint version, so I just moved it
up a bit into that section. If you're using waypoints, you'd always sync
on a GPS-defined marker, and it is much easier.

Your instructions are spot on though for the non-waypoint case.

> 2) While audio is playing, when I clicked on an audio marker it caused
> JOSM to hang.

OK. I'll see if I can reproduce it. Can you be more specific?

> 3) The Open dialog for audio files does not appear to remember the last
> place that was used. Other open dialogs in JOSM do.

Curious. I'm not aware of doing anything different. Maybe there is an
extra step I missed.

> 4) It would be nice to have keyboard shortcuts for Forward and Backwards.

OK, can be arranged I'm sure. How about '[' and ']' with '{' and '}' for
next and last marker? Assuming the system will let me do that - it
wouldn't let me have the spacebar for the play /pause for reasons I
don't understand.

> 5) It would be nice to hide the audio markers without also hiding the
> orange cursor.  I don't use waypoints and found that using the orange
> cursor and the forward and backward buttons was all that I needed most
> of the time.

I'm surprised your audio was dense enough that you didn't have to jump
to new locations using the markers - I get minutes of "silence" when I'm
audio mapping. My two hour expedition on Saturday generated 140-odd
waypoints, roughly one a minute.

But again, I imagine that wouldn't be too hard. I hadn't actually
realised the play head vanished with the markers. I guess the graphics
context I'm given to paint with is that for the layer.

> 6) Lastly, it would be really nice if it was possible to play the audio
> at varying speeds. For long roads if I've made occasionals marks I don't
> really want to listen to the whole recording in real time, but there's
> not really any way of knowing where the next one will be without
> listening to the whole recording.

That's why creating waypoints help, but I know from experience with my
Garmin, the combination of key presses makes in unfeasible while moving
on a bike. The single tap on my adapted version  of MaemoMapper on the
Nokia is much, much better in this respect.

If you're on a bike though you could mimic waypoints though - if you
adopt a procedure where you always either speak just after you turn into
a junction or when you do a loop loop in the road, then you can use the
artificial markers to speed up jumping through the sound track.

> Variable play speed would help with this.

I imagine I could fake the sample rate, or something like that. I'll
investigate. This is probably a bit more complicated than the rest.

> Overall I really like it :)

Thanks. My feeling is that it makes me safer when I'm out mapping,
because I don't have trailing wires and don't have to keep pressing the
pause on my recorder.

David