[OSM-talk] Gpx: non-public traces in JOSM/Potlatch and milliseconds in timestamps with JOSM

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Feb 26 13:49:23 GMT 2008

Tom Hughes <tom <at> compton.nu> writes:

> > In my case the original shapefiles are usually in good shape :) Field
> > data collector software takes care of not storing too many nodes. But
> > the software has its own native data format and only shapefiles as
> > another output option.  Therefore I need to make conversion to gpx so
> > I can upload the data for evidence of the origin.
>
> The whole point of uploading the GPS files as evidence is that they
> show we actually went out with a GPS unit. I'm not sure that generating
> what sound like fake GPS traces from some other source and then
> uploading those as "evidence" is really a good idea...
>
> Or have I misunderstood what you're doing?

Hi Tom,

I have been thinking that uploading those "fake" gpx files is better that not to
upload.  I am using GPS field data collector software for my real work but every
now and then I collect some data for OSM while driwing or walking from spot to
spot. The measurements are real GPS data but the software just does not record
timestamps.  More often I use OziExplorer for recording tracks and then
conversion to gpx goes without any tricks because Ozi keeps the timestamps.  But
sometimes I feel too lazy for switching the software, or satellite weather on
the footpaths in the middle of the woods is poor and I need to use stop-and-go
method and average  hundred epochs or so in order to make more reliable
measurements. In that case I think that uploading converted gpx files is the
best evidence I can arrange, at least files and measurements can then be
connected to me.

-Jukka-