[OSM-talk] JOSM upload failure

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jan 4 09:42:30 GMT 2008

Hi,

> Stephen Hope wrote:
>> I was uploading a big section of data when I had an connection failure
>> of some kind, and the upload eventually timed out. It had uploaded a
>> lot of nodes, but hadn't got as far as the ways yet.
>>
>> Can I assume that if I just try and upload the same data again (I have
>> it saved) that it won't duplicate the nodes that uploaded last time?
>
> If you saved after the failed upload, yes.  JOSM sets new nodes and ways
> to a negative number when you're working, then when it (the node or way)
> is uploaded, JOSM changes the number to it's 'official' id number.  If
> you retry or save to retry later, the uploaded nodes are no longer
> marked as new.

All this is correct. The one thing you must NOT do is this:

* enter lots of data
* save
* upload
* upload stops due to network problem
* quit JOSM
* restart JOSM
* load file
* upload <-- NOT!

Because your saved file does not contain information about what was
uploaded and what wasn't, it will upload everything again, leading to
duplication of items in the database.

After a failed upload, either re-try the upload right away without
quitting JOSM, or save your work AFTER the failed upload and then use
the saved file in a later attempt.

Bye
Frederik