[OSM-talk] Tracing coastline by hand unnecessarily

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Wed Jan 16 01:37:40 GMT 2008

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 9:09 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can someone who knows what they are doing with this stuff quickly run
>>
> <snip>
>
> Quickly? :) I think you underestimate the amount of data we're talking
> about here... From my calculations we're maybe 25% done or so, it just
> looks like we're further because we imported the interesting things
> first and chunks are done in low res.
>
> My guess is Alaska and Indonesia are areas which have a lot of data
> not currently present.
>
> (*) based on PGS containing 51 million points and the database
> currently holding 14 million coastline related points.
>
> Have a nice day,

As of tonight Alaska is fully uploaded (the last bit thats going right
now is the panhandle that stretches to the southwest). There aren't too
many breaks in it overall, especially compared to the west coast of BC,
though most of the errors showing there are reversed single way islands
that need to be cleaned up yet, see
http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/coastlines.html?lat=65.56080039181714&lon=-149.433288568253&zoom=4.
And cleaning those up are fairly quick and easy if you want to compile
the newest validator plugin that has the way direction checker code in
it (I haven't uploaded a jar of it yet as I haven't got the detection
for islands that are made up multiple ways done)

I will look at getting Newfoundland done tonight and probably Hudson bay
as well, then start wrapping back south along Labrador and Quebec.

-Jason Reid