[OSM-talk] travel-time-maps

Greg noh.way.jose at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jan 17 19:30:06 GMT 2008

I have a proposition that I'd like to discuss for open mapping. It's not my
idea originally but Chris Lightfoot's (the late genius of social computing
projects). One of his projects was undertaken a while back for the UK's
Department of Transport but seems to have languished unused ever since.

The project can be found here:
http://www.mysociety.org/2006/travel-time-maps/index.php#examples

It strikes me that this kind of journey time contours map has great value,
especially if it relies on genuine travel data from motivated participants. I
could imagine an open source solution using a mobile/GPS combo being used to
show real-time travel time data - where the user can change the time base for
a running average (from 'this hour' to 'this year')

I hope I'm not revisiting a topic that has been done to death in this forum -
I couldn't find anything with a fairly cursory search.

Let me know what you think.
--
Greg