[OSM-talk] travel-time-maps

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 21:30:42 GMT 2008

Hi Greg,

This is something I know a little bit about.  I've CC'd the
mysociety-maps list too so they know that other people are still
thinking about this.

You can join that list here:

On 17/01/2008, Greg <noh.way.jose at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> I have a proposition that I'd like to discuss for open mapping. It's not my
> idea originally but Chris Lightfoot's (the late genius of social computing
> projects). One of his projects was undertaken a while back for the UK's
> Department of Transport but seems to have languished unused ever since.
>
> The project can be found here:
> http://www.mysociety.org/2006/travel-time-maps/index.php#examples

Happily I can inform you that this work has recently been picked up again.

I have recently been helping mysociety with the presentation of their
latest data (I've also had assistance from Nick at ZXV).  I'm not sure
exactly when the updated maps will launch but suffice to say *WATCH
THIS SPACE*.

> It strikes me that this kind of journey time contours map has great value,
> especially if it relies on genuine travel data from motivated participants. I
> could imagine an open source solution using a mobile/GPS combo being used to
> show real-time travel time data - where the user can change the time base for
> a running average (from 'this hour' to 'this year')
>
> I hope I'm not revisiting a topic that has been done to death in this forum -
> I couldn't find anything with a fairly cursory search.

Not at all.

> Let me know what you think.

I suspect for the parts of the world already well-covered by OSM, work
on routing and travel times could begin NOW (and already has, I
think).  But my favourite part of the mysociety work is the fact that
it concentrates on public transport - that's a trickier proposition.

Best,

Tom.