[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] "Opentrail" - What development environments would be best for mobile compatibility?

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Sat Jan 26 07:19:57 GMT 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 12:29:33AM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Well, if your definition of better includes open, then no.
> Sometimes when talking about OSM I say provocatively that we're so
> ruthlessly pragmatic that we would even switch to Oracle if someone
> gave us the stuff for free and it worked better than what we currently
> have.

First, I don't think that attitude is prevalent in OSM. For example
every potential data source gets scrutinized for openess nearly to
Debian like levels.

And secondly, even if it is so for the community at large, it is not
why I personally am attracted to this project. If I were pragmatic
I would just use google maps...

> Nick's comment is in sync with that and it has a certain appeal;
> focusing too much on "open" sometimes makes you a grumpy ideologist.

So be it then :)

> On the other hand, being one of the old(er) school hackers myself, I
> am often irritated at the warm embrace that Apple get from large parts
> of what I used to consider a critical geek community. At the 24c3 in
> December, an awful lot of hackers were seen with Mac notebooks, and
> not even with Linux on them - they seem to have no issue with every
> second application offering you to "shop" directly from the file menu,
> plus generously "phoning home" about all sorts of things you do. But
> then this is the generation that blogs and twitters and plazes...
> maybe, and I don't mean this in a rhetorical sense, maybe my
> generation has simply overrated privacy.

I wouldn't mind the "shop" menu if their software didn't
suck so much... Which unfortunatly it does in large amounts.

> "Europe UK : This week Nokia announced that the N95 handset, noted for
> its next-generation services including GPS, has sold a million units.
> This amounts to a significant success for a Smartphone in the UK
> market."

Well, that's a significant body of potential mappers there...

cu bart