[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] "Opentrail" - What development environments would be best for mobile compatibility?

Sat Jan 26 11:20:52 GMT 2008

bvh wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 12:29:33AM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>> Well, if your definition of better includes open, then no.
>> Sometimes when talking about OSM I say provocatively that we're so
>> ruthlessly pragmatic that we would even switch to Oracle if someone
>> gave us the stuff for free and it worked better than what we
>> currently
>> have.
>
> First, I don't think that attitude is prevalent in OSM. For example
> every potential data source gets scrutinized for openess nearly to
> Debian like levels.

Sure, but it's possible to be an "open geodata" kind of guy without
being a "free software" kind of guy. Just because I'm insistent about
the cleanliness of our map data doesn't mean I want to give up my Mac
and all the lovely closed-source software on it.

cheers
Richard