[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] "Opentrail" - What development environments would be best for mobile compatibility?

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Sat Jan 26 10:54:44 GMT 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 11:20:52AM +0000, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Sure, but it's possible to be an "open geodata" kind of guy without
> being a "free software" kind of guy. Just because I'm insistent about
> the cleanliness of our map data doesn't mean I want to give up my Mac
> and all the lovely closed-source software on it.

That is a strawman : I never suggested you should give up your Mac
and associated software, just that it is an odd advice to steer other
people towards it in the context of an open project.

Moreover, I don't think your position is internally consistent. The data is
nearly useless without the programs to do something interesting
with it. What good would it be for the geo data to be open if the
preferred way of accessing it is closed? Then you can just as well use
the lovely google maps on your iphone and be done with it.

cu bart