[OSM-talk] Kosmos v1.9 - poster printing OSM maps

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 07:36:59 GMT 2008

Hello Frederik,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I've tried to play around with Kosmos; with no source code being
> available (hint, hint) I resorted to trying to run it under "mono".
> The Kosmos.Gui.Exe application reports, rather unhelpfully:

See my response to Ulf regarding the source code.
As for running it in mono: I doubt it will run, unfortunately. An OSM user
reported to me few weeks ago that he tried to run it in mono but Kosmos
threw all sorts of exceptions. I tried to fix some of them, but then others
appeared. I think the main problem is that Kosmos uses some stuff from .NET
2.0 which is not yet supported by mono.

> Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException:
> Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. --->
> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: There is an error
> in a configuration setting. () ()
>  at
> System.Configuration.CustomizableFileSettingsProvider.LoadPropertyValue
> (System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection collection,
> System.Configuration.SettingElement element, Boolean allowOverwrite)
> [0x00000]
>  at
> System.Configuration.CustomizableFileSettingsProvider.LoadProperies
> (System.Configuration.ExeConfigurationFileMap exeMap,
> System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection collection,
> ConfigurationUserLevel level, System.String sectionGroupName, Boolean
> allowOverwrite) [0x00000]
>  at
> System.Configuration.CustomizableFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues
> (System.Configuration.SettingsContext context,
> System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection collection) [0x00000]
>  at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues
> (System.Configuration.SettingsContext context,
> System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection properties) [0x00000]
>  at
> System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.CacheValuesByProvider
> (System.Configuration.SettingsProvider provider) [0x00000]
>  at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue
> (System.String propertyName) [0x00000]
>  at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item
> (System.String propertyName) [0x00000]
>  at Kosmos.Gui.Properties.Settings.get_MapFormLocation () [0x00000]
>  at (wrapper managed-to-native)
>  System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[])
>  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj,
>  BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder,
>  System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo
>  culture) [0x00000] --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
>
> (this was after I had fixed the "\\" that appeared in the config
> file). So this doesn't seem to work. The CLI application starts up at
> least:

This is not Kosmos' own exception - this part of the code is performed
without the developer's control. It is thrown by mono when the  main Kosmos
forms is being created. The system tries to load user's preferences using
the System.Configuration facility. I'm not sure this is supported by Mono.
That '\\' is needed when running in Windows - log4net library expects double
back slashes.  I'll try to replace it with a single slash, I have to check
if this works in log4net on Windows.

> Kosmos Console v1.9.27.2 by Igor Brejc
> OpenStreetMap rendering application
>
> USAGE:
> Kosmos <command>
>
> COMMANDS (choose one):
> tilegen <Kosmos project file>: generates tiles containing OSM map
> using the provided project file
> tileserv <Kosmos project file>: runs a web tile service
>
> -- how can I create a project file to try this out?

Have you tried it with the sample project that comes with Kosmos?

Regards,
Igor