[OSM-talk] Move tagging RfCs/voting to extra list?

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Jan 29 12:13:38 GMT 2008

At 12:59 AM 1/29/2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I wrote the following two weeks ago because I felt that the talk list
>was a bit flooded by administrative "voting ends", "voting opens",
>"comments requested" etc. messages:
>
> >    would it make sense to create a new mailing list - say
> > "tagging at openstreetmap.org" or so - to which all tag proposals and
> > requests for comments/votes could be directed, and reclaim talk@ for
> > informal community chat?
>
>At the time, I thought we had somewhat of a consensus that we should
>either create an extra list or have one condensed "voting issues"
>posting per week (or so).
>
>Alas, not much has changed since then, so I repeat the suggestion:
>Let's create an extra list for formal aspects of tagging discussions.

I usually agree with everything Frederick says, which saves me a lot
of time not writing to the list, but this time politely
disagree.  I'd say hold off for several months at least.  The formal
conversation carries on the Wiki page anyway, why have the headache
of another list and formal administration?

- Tagging is still relatively immature and still goes off in
unexpected directions which impact how and where OSM develops.  It is
therefore an important part of the general buzz of OSM and therefore
belongs on the main list.

- Announcing RfCs/voting on the main list has really breathed life
into getting the effort of getting a progressively coherent,
harmonious global core tag set that is at least partially
understandable in different countries.

- It has been good to get at least the occasional involvement of
folks outside the 5 or 6 (?) hardcore.

- The volume is not that high surely. In any case, it is artificially
high at the moment as Robin tries to clear the backlog.

- If you are not interested in the specifics,  hit delete - the
Subject carries the gist and the general message is usefully made.

Just my opinion!

Mike
Stockholm