[OSM-talk] Move tagging RfCs/voting to extra list?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 12:37:36 GMT 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 12:13 PM, Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> At 12:59 AM 1/29/2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I wrote the following two weeks ago because I felt that the talk list
> >was a bit flooded by administrative "voting ends", "voting opens",
> >"comments requested" etc. messages:
> >
> > >    would it make sense to create a new mailing list - say
> > > "tagging at openstreetmap.org" or so - to which all tag proposals and
> > > requests for comments/votes could be directed, and reclaim talk@ for
> > > informal community chat?
> >
> >At the time, I thought we had somewhat of a consensus that we should
> >either create an extra list or have one condensed "voting issues"
> >posting per week (or so).
> >
> >Alas, not much has changed since then, so I repeat the suggestion:
> >Let's create an extra list for formal aspects of tagging discussions.
>
> I usually agree with everything Frederick says, which saves me a lot
> of time not writing to the list, but this time politely
> disagree.  I'd say hold off for several months at least.  The formal
> conversation carries on the Wiki page anyway, why have the headache
> of another list and formal administration?
>
> - Tagging is still relatively immature and still goes off in
> unexpected directions which impact how and where OSM develops.  It is
> therefore an important part of the general buzz of OSM and therefore
> belongs on the main list.
>
> - Announcing RfCs/voting on the main list has really breathed life
> into getting the effort of getting a progressively coherent,
> harmonious global core tag set that is at least partially
> understandable in different countries.
>
> - It has been good to get at least the occasional involvement of
> folks outside the 5 or 6 (?) hardcore.
>
> - The volume is not that high surely. In any case, it is artificially
> high at the moment as Robin tries to clear the backlog.
>
> - If you are not interested in the specifics,  hit delete - the
> Subject carries the gist and the general message is usefully made.

I understand the hassle of creating a new list or doing the weekly round-up,
and all the downsides of people not getting as involved etc.

Can I suggest a compromise for the moment?
What about if people starting the threads could include something obvious in
the subject which would enable people to filter them out easily? I have a
bunch of rules on my google filter to separate these mails out, but they're
not very effective because there is no clear structure to the subject.
I'd suggest something like:
"[tagging] vote open for *****"

Ulf has already been including [vote] and [RFC] in mail subjects, it would
be nice to get something like this more ingrained.

There isn't actually a lot of traffic from these mails, but they do cause a
relatively massive number of threads which tends to drown out the rest of
the list.

Dave