[OSM-talk] Tag:highway=cycleway inconsistency

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 16:51:06 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz>
wrote:
> > I certainly agree that the default for foot access should be one or
> > the other for highway=cycleway.
> >
> > My own preference is for default foot=yes.
>
> I disagree - I think the default should be undefined. After all, it's
> been undefined for a while, and I don't like hidden assumptions that
> will be wrong for entire countries.

Then let the countries decide their default access rules? It's the same
as trunk roads where the default access rules don't allow pedestrian or
bicycle access while in other countries they are allowed. Anyway, I've
mentioned the issue already at my access restrictions brainstorming
page at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Access_restrictions#Country_specific_rules
the past week.

Greetings