[OSM-talk] Tag:highway=cycleway inconsistency

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:29:06 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:

> I know Andy disagrees with this, and I can see his point about foot=yes
> being wrong for some countries -- but I think it's better to have a
> default so it's easier to make assumptions about routing, than to
> require that all cycleways be tagged with an additional foot=* tag.

If it's on a per-country basis, I don't mind - that's doable with some
maths. If the default applies > 90% of the time, then that's fine too.
The point that I get concerned about is if it's A 55% of the time and
B 45% of the time and someone says that A should be default.

So if the consensus is that it's almost always foot=yes (certainly is
from my experience, to the 98th percentile) then we should go with
that. And if it's just Germany that's different, then we can deal with
that too.

Cheers,
Andy