[OSM-talk] Tag:highway=cycleway inconsistency

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Jul 3 18:37:48 BST 2008

Andy Allan wrote:

> The point that I get concerned about is if it's A 55% of the time and
> B 45% of the time and someone says that A should be default.

I still see it as an overall advantage if only 45% of ways must have
that additional tag, vs. 100%.  It's unfortunate that rather than
requiring all of the users to place an extra tag 45% of the time, it
actually shifts the burden so that a regional 45% of the users must use
the extra tag approximately 98% of the time.  If it were even across all
users it would be much more acceptable.

But I still think that it's better than requiring 100% of users to add
an extra tag 100% of the time.

I like the idea of having country-specific implications/assumptions, but
I don't really see a good way to document that.  Any suggestions?

-Alex Mauer "hawke"