[OSM-talk] UK post box data

Tom Taylor scraplab at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 14:36:53 BST 2008

Hello all,

I recently made a Freedom of Information Act request for the location
of every UK post box. Royal Mail responded with a 1600 page PDF
containing their info.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/location_of_every_post_box_that

I did some parsing of the PDF, and it seems that of the 114,000 post
boxes in the UK, 50599 seem to have valid postcode data.

I'm currently geocoding these postcodes using Yahoo's service, and
wondered if the resulting longitudes and latitudes would be of
interest to OSM and could be integrated. I'm not entirely clear on the
licensing of it. Can anyone clarify?

Cheers,

Tom