[OSM-talk] UK post box data

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Jul 5 15:11:51 BST 2008

At 03:36 PM 5/07/2008, Tom Taylor wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I recently made a Freedom of Information Act request for the location
>of every UK post box. Royal Mail responded with a 1600 page PDF
>containing their info.
>
>http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/location_of_every_post_box_that
>
>I did some parsing of the PDF, and it seems that of the 114,000 post
>boxes in the UK, 50599 seem to have valid postcode data.
>
>I'm currently geocoding these postcodes using Yahoo's service, and
>wondered if the resulting longitudes and latitudes would be of
>interest to OSM and could be integrated. I'm not entirely clear on the
>licensing of it. Can anyone clarify?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tom

Interesting.  I note that in both the PDF document and the cover letter that the Royal Mail have made no attempt to assert any copyright or ownership but doubt whether that is enough.

Can you point to an on-line copy of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 itself, I wonder if that has any passages relating to the usage of information provided?

Mike