[OSM-talk] Is it land or sea: how to map a swamp?

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Jul 9 15:18:10 BST 2008

I agree with Stephen's comments and add that I follow the rule "if in doubt, map it as land" since we don't have the luxury of being able to map average high water marks or highest spring tide mark that a government agency might use.  If it is something that I can walk out and see most of the day or year, then I think it should be mapped as land as a navigation aid.

It might also be worth considering a natural=mangrove area tag.  Our current system is biased towards temperate climates.  I've hesitated so far as it is often very difficult, either on the ground or from imaging data, to map the inland extent.

Mike