[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 15:59:16 BST 2008

Steve Hill wrote:
> Following the approval of the highway=road tag, I've set about
> aggressively changing a lot of the highway=unclassified roads around
> Swansea, that I believe are misclassified, to highway=road, with the
> intention that they can then be surveyed and reclassified correctly.
>
> However, after starting to do this, I've realised just how many of the
> roads are misclassified - I'd estimate that well over 80% of the roads
> tagged as highway=unclassified are, infact, not unclassified roads.  So
> I'm wondering about the merits of changing *all* the
> highway=unclassified roads in the area to highway=road so that the whole
> lot can be classified appropriately from scratch.  This would make it
> obvious which roads really are unclassified and which need to be checked.
>
> What are peoples' views on this?  I imagine that much of the OSM world is
> affected in the same way, and this renders the highway=unclassified tag
> relatively meaningless in it's current state.  Should there be a global
> reclassification to fix this, or is there a better way?
I would be strongly against a global change of highway=unclassified -
all of the roads I have tagged as unclassified deserve to be so.  I have
been working partly on a very rural area, where many of the roads are
unclassified (country lanes).  To have to retag them from road to
unclassified would be a very annoying waste of time.

Cheers, Chris