[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Jul 9 15:36:03 BST 2008

Following the approval of the highway=road tag, I've set about
aggressively changing a lot of the highway=unclassified roads around
Swansea, that I believe are misclassified, to highway=road, with the
intention that they can then be surveyed and reclassified correctly.

However, after starting to do this, I've realised just how many of the
roads are misclassified - I'd estimate that well over 80% of the roads
tagged as highway=unclassified are, infact, not unclassified roads.  So
I'm wondering about the merits of changing *all* the
highway=unclassified roads in the area to highway=road so that the whole
lot can be classified appropriately from scratch.  This would make it
obvious which roads really are unclassified and which need to be checked.

What are peoples' views on this?  I imagine that much of the OSM world is
affected in the same way, and this renders the highway=unclassified tag
relatively meaningless in it's current state.  Should there be a global
reclassification to fix this, or is there a better way?

  - Steve