[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

David Ebling dave_ebling at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 08:29:46 BST 2008

Steve, I would suggest you reconsider doing this.

I would strongly support the use of highway=road for new roads that no information is available for, eg from a trace that was done with a car but no notes were made.

However, by retagging "unclassified" to "road" you are essentially deleting information from the database that you don't know to be incorrect. Sure, if you know the classification is correct, change it, but don't just delete it - it could be correct.

For what it's worth, I work on the following basis for UK road classifications:
* trunk/primary/secondary - as signed.
* tertiary - other roads that predominantly have a white line of some sort down the centre. These tend to be wider roads used by more traffic. I believe OS maps use a similar distinction, and I think it's useful for planning routes, both with a map or automatically.
* unclassified - roads without a centre line. If they are too narrow for passing, I add lanes=1.

On this basis I have mapped a great number of unclassified roads. It would be a real shame if you deleted this information that I had carefully collected.

I accept that there are a large number of incorrectly tagged roads out there, but correct them, don't delete info on the offchance.

Regards,

David