[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 10 12:09:11 BST 2008

Steve Hill [mailto:steve at nexusuk.org] wrote:
>Sent: 10 July 2008 11:59 AM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: RE: [OSM-talk] Misclassified roads
>
>On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
>
>> You keep saying that but you haven't given a good example. Can you?
>
>A dual carriageway that was tagged as highway=unclassified:
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.67075&lon=-
>3.91377&zoom=16&layers=B00FTF

Probably a good catch, but I can think of some dual carriageways which have
no classification on the ground, so it won't always be true.

>A bunch of residential roads that were tagged as highway=unclassified:
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.62323&lon=-
>3.94775&zoom=15&layers=B00FTF

If you know they are truly residential roads, then why not retag them as
such? I tend to use unclassified currently on some routes leaving urban
areas which may well be tertiary but until I know better I leave them as
unclassified. Some of these will pass through residential areas as well. But
since we don't have a hard and fast rule then that's fine for now. So is
changing to highway=road if you plan to go out and verify soon. Just don't
go mad and change areas you have no intention of visiting.

>There are plenty more where they came from - I have retagged them as
>highway=road with the intention of going back and properly resurveying
>them when I have time.
>
>  - Steve
>    xmpp:steve at nexusuk.org   sip:steve at nexusuk.org
>http://www.nexusuk.org/
>
>      Servatis a periculum, servatis a maleficum - Whisper, Evanescence

Cheers

Andy