[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jul 10 12:32:57 BST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> If you know they are truly residential roads, then why not retag them as
> such?

Because they are part of a large number of roads that I know are not
unclassified, but were tagged as such.  So I have retagged them to
highlight the fact that they need resurveying and I am trying to take a
vaguely systematic approach.  I know that some of that cluster of roads
are residential and I'm pretty confident that none of them are
unclassified, but I don't know which of them to tag as residential and
which to tag as tertiary without going and resurveying them, which I
haven't yet had time to do.

> Just don't
> go mad and change areas you have no intention of visiting.

I'm certainly not planning on changing areas that I have nothing to do
with.  But I was trying to bring the problem to the attention of people in
other areas since they may have a similar situation.

The retagging I've done was based on my knowledge of the specific areas,
rather than the roads themselves (i.e. given the type of area the roads
were in, I deemed it extremely unlikely that they were really unclassified
roads, so retagged them to make it obvious they need to be resurveyed).
Since I can't tell you the classification of all the specific roads off
the top of my head, I can't necessarilly correct the tags immediately, but
I can retag to show that the unclassified tag is almost certainly wrong
and then resurvey them when I have chance (and hopefully it might also
encourage other people in the area to help with the task)

Obviously there are many more roads which really are unclassified in rural
areas - So far I've been mainly working on the city and a different
approach may be needed for the rural areas.

  - Steve