[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:35:37 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
> Unclassified:
>  Narrower than a tertiary, usually without a dotted line along the middle
> and usually with a relatively high speed limit (although you might not want
> to drive anywhere near that speed :)
>
> Residential:
>  Roads in housing estates - they probably look like tertiary roads, but have
> houses along them (I actually don't like this classification and think they
> would be better tagged as highway=tertiary and abutters=residential)

I don't want to be annoying, but what about the ordinary roads, which
don't fit in the above classification. With houses on both side but
limited to 50km/h for example. Inside housing estates sounds like
living_street me. Maybe the word 'estate' means something else in the
UK than I think.

The problem is that "unclassified" actually means something specfic in
the UK and is totally meaningless elsewhere. So we denoted something
in the hierarchy of roads here to map to unclassified and FTLOG don't
go changing them all because you think they're wrong according to some
classification you came up with on your own.

Have a nice day,