[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:59:43 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
>> I don't want to be annoying, but what about the ordinary roads, which
>> don't fit in the above classification. With houses on both side but
>> limited to 50km/h for example.
>
> Well, this is why I don't like the highway=residential tag.

Agreed, highway=residential was never very well thought out and it
rendered even worse.

>> Inside housing estates sounds like
>> living_street me. Maybe the word 'estate' means something else in the
>> UK than I think.
>
> The definition of living_street is a bit vague in the wiki.  A relevant bit
> seems to be:
> "Simply tagging them with something like highway=residential, max_speed=7,
> motorcar=yes, motorcycle=yes, bicycle=yes"

Oh, I never looked at the wiki, I use it to mark roads with the
appropriate sign in NL (and no, the speed limit isn't 7, I've never
seen that anywhere).

> I don't know enough about the road systems in other countries to comment -
> from your description, it sounds like maybe you have living streets (very
> low speed limit) rather than residential roads (20-30mph speed limits). As I
> said, I really don't like the residential tag (although I do use it in order
> to be consistent with the rest of the map).  For roads with speed limits
> over 30mph I don't tag them with highway=residential, even if they have
> houses along them.

We don't have anything with very low speed limits, not even
living_streets. But from the your description here, what do you tag
roads that are 30mph and don't have a centre line? i.e. the single
most common type here.

> As I've said before, I have no intention of changing any areas I'm not
> involved with - I'm just bringing a problem to the attention of everyone
> else since I suspect that Swansea isn't the only place affected.

Ok, as long as you change nothing in NL I don't really mind one way or
the other :)

>- they are wrong according to the
> definitions in the wiki - things like 50mph 2 lane dual carriageways are
> _not_ unclassified roads by any stretch of the imagination.

Agreed.

Have a nice day,