[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Fri Jul 11 17:41:38 BST 2008

Steve Hill wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>
>> Er, I've driven past that one a handful of times (some friends
>> used to
>> live in Pontardawe) and if it's the road I'm thinking of - down
>> towards the KFC - it _is_ unclassified. Well, either that or
>> tertiary;
>
> It can't possibly be unclassified - an unclassified road is a single
> carriage way, usually with no centre line.

I like your confident "can't possibly", but nonetheless, that's not a
definition I accept and nor (judging by other mails in this thread)
does everyone else.

And that's fine: you seem to place more of an emphasis on the Gospel
According To Map Features than I do (though MF doesn't say _anything_
about dual carriagewayness), and there's nothing wrong with that.
What _isn't_ fine is going round removing others' work because you
disagree with it.

>   This road is a dual
> carriageway with two lanes in each direction.  I need to go and
> survey the
> area to see if it has an A or B number - if it doesn't then it's a
> tertiary, definately not an unclassified.  (and given the size of
> the road I would be *extremely* surprised if it didn't have an A B
> or C
> number).

Like I say, I have been there. It doesn't have an A or B number, at
least not one that's signposted.

As for C, that's pretty much immaterial: I've spoken at a public
inquiry to get a landowner to remove an obstruction on a C "road". I
say "road", actually it was a foot-wide path from one village to
another three miles away.

cheers
Richard