[OSM-talk] tagging peat bogs in ireland

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:23:09 BST 2008

2008/7/15 Tim Waters (chippy) <chippy2005 at gmail.com>:

> There is this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Surface_Mining
>
> But I don't think it covers the "bog" as a whole. Perhaps a big
> polygon natural=lowland_bog and within that, areas of
> landuse=surface_mining with resource=peat ?

That looks perfect. In practice, you'll probably find it difficult to
map a bog as a whole, rather it's the big empty brown bit that you'll
generally end up mapping.

> I think peat is the same as turf, used in domestic fires?

It certainly is. In traditional use, cuboid sections of peat/turf
would be extracted from the bog and left in the open air to dry. These
were of a shape and size useful for a domestic fire. On the
mass-market these days you generally get peat briquettes, which are
made of milled peat, extracted mechanically from the exposed surface
of the bog. This is then compressed into briquettes.

Ireland created a nationalised industry to exploit the bogs shortly
after independence. In a state striving for independence, turf filled
the gap caused by the fact that we had essentially no native coal.

Dermot