[OSM-talk] tagging peat bogs in ireland

Tim Waters (chippy) chippy2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:55:03 BST 2008

On 7/15/08, Dermot McNally <dermotm at gmail.com> wrote:

> To expand on this - because it's something I've wondered about myself
>  - when tagging as seen on-the-ground, there's a big difference between
>  a bog being used commercially and a normal, untouched bog. The
>  commercially-worked ones have had the vegetation layer stripped off to
>  expose vast areas of chocolate-brown peat, easily recognised from
>  satellite images. Untouched ones are marshy and have heather growing
>  on them, but are otherwise of fairly normal appearance.
>
>  Is there precedent from open-cast mines that might show us how to tag
>  "open" bogs?

There is this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Surface_Mining

But I don't think it covers the "bog" as a whole. Perhaps a big
polygon natural=lowland_bog and within that, areas of
landuse=surface_mining with resource=peat ? This brown area, visible
on landsat would represent the current mined area, open to the air.

I think peat is the same as turf, used in domestic fires?

Tim