[OSM-talk] Fire break advice

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Thu Jul 17 04:27:01 BST 2008

"David Janda" <dj at dotcomdave.com> writes:

> And, as a previous post has pointed out, they can be very wide. So, just
> marking them as a path or whatever will not do I think.
>
> A landuse issue?

I'd say the fire breaks are part of landuse=forest, but are not covered
by natural=wood:

                    +- fire break

//================\===/=====================\\  <-
||                |   |                     ||   |
||                |   |                     ||   |
||   wood         |   |   wood              ||  forest
||                |   |                     ||   |

That's there is a large forest area holding two wood areas separated by
a fire break.  The woods are "on top" of the forest and the fire break
is just an empty space in the forest.  There is no need to tag is
specially, just put a track (with tracktype=gradeX) in if there is any.

--
Karl Eichwalder