[OSM-talk] Rendering name of route relations

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Fri Jul 18 18:07:02 BST 2008

Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
> Recently, it appears that Mapnik has started rendering the name of
> relations on the map, as if they were street names. For example, it
> renders the name of the "Cosburn" bus route along Haldon Avenue in
> this map:<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.6978&lon=-79.31117&zoom=17>.
> This is clearly undesirable. Could someone please fix this?

Some relations need to have their names rendered, and some don't. (If I
have a street, one part of which is One Way, I have to break it into
three sections to add the oneway=yes. But I still want only a single
instance of the street name rather than two or three. I believe the
correct solution to this is a relation, but it would require the name to
be rendered in this case.

Perhaps we need a tag for an identifying string for a relation, which is
not supposed to be rendered?

Gerv