[OSM-talk] Slippy map not working in Firefox

Tordanik osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Jul 23 19:38:09 BST 2008

Hi,

I happen to experience problems with openstreetmap.org and Firefox (3)
on Linux, too. I’m not sure whether it is related, but the symptoms
sound similar. No clue what’s causing it.

Behavior:

When opening openstreetmap.org, the general page displays properly,
including zoom display, ruler, permalink and layer selector. The map,
however, remains plain white. No errors in javascript console, cursor
indicates loading activity, but there is no visible result for minutes.
Status bar announces data transfer from www.paypal.com, apparently that
“Make A Donation”-button was the last thing it received.

When I use the layer selector to switch to Osmarender, I get a visible
map almost instantly. Strangely, switching back to Mapnik after a while
can cause the Mapnik layer to work (but not always). Once it has
started working, it zooms and scrolls flawlessly.

I can reproduce this behavior even with a fresh Firefox config without
extensions (new user on local computer),

informationfreeway.org does not cause this problem. It behaves like
the Osmarender layer on openstreetmap.org.

System and browser info:

Ubuntu 8.04
Linux xxx 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Fri Jul 11 21:01:46 UTC 2008 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Firefox 3
(version as displayed by Synaptic: 3.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1)

Tests with other software:

Firefox 3.0.1 on Windows XP _works_
Firefox 2 on Ubuntu does _not_ work
Konqueror 3.5.9 on Ubuntu _works_