[OSM-talk] Slippy map not working in Firefox

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Wed Jul 23 17:36:57 BST 2008

2008/7/23 Etienne <treasurer at openstreetmap.org>:

> Someone has emailed me to say that the slippy map at www.openstreetmap.orgdoes not work in Opera nor Firefox/Iceweasel on their Linux box.
>
> They say that openstreetbugs.appspot.com does not work either.  However
> informationfreeway does.
>
> InformationFreeway uses an older version of OpenLayers so I'm wondering if
> there's something in a newer version of OpenLayers that is the cause of
> this.
>
> Below is some info from them about their environment and the symptoms they
> see.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about what could be wrong?

I've seen failure to load before, on InformationFreeway too... but in each
case it's been due to failing to download the large openlayers javascript
file due to poor connectivity (large packet loss) a few refreshes can help
get it to eventually download then it seem to stay cached and works for a
while... I'd guess that the person reporting this has some sort of
connectivity issue or something else blocking the javascript such as a
filtering proxy or worse as far as having a chance of fixing it, an ISP
caching a broken copy of the openlayers javascript...

I have noticed issues with Firefox 3 on Windows and the slippy maps
though... they load fine but dragging the map occaisionally takes the map
decorations with it... found it's seems slightly more reproducable if the
find bar is open at the bottom of the screen and you are panning north
(dragging mouse from top to bottom) and the mouse goes into the find bar
while the button is still down, but then, it's still so variable happening
maybe once in 20+ full screen drags... when it happens the decorations move
about a tile's width in whichever direction you are moving the map...