[OSM-talk] Names, split streets and relations

Mon Jul 28 10:25:23 BST 2008

Gervase Markham wrote:

> If you label all three ways with "name=Foo Street", you get "Foo Street"
> rendered 3 times along a fairly short length, at least in Osmarender. If
> you leave the name off the outer ends, then those ways are incorrectly
> assumed to be unnamed streets when they have a name. In other words,
> you've made the data bogus for rendering reasons.
>
> What is the correct response to this? The "obvious" thing to do is
> attach the street name to a relation which incorporates all three ways.
> Do the main renderers yet correctly render street names expressed as
> relations?

I realise I've blethered on about this before, but IMO this adds
significant complexity to editing. Relations are less intuitive to the
newbie, and our existing editors are better set up for editing tags
than relations.

If Osmarender doesn't "unify" three contiguous, identically-named ways
into one label, that's an issue with Osmarender, not a reason to
change an editing practice that has been established for several years.

cheers
Richard