[OSM-talk] Names, split streets and relations

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:01:35 BST 2008

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> I realise I've blethered on about this before, but IMO this adds
> significant complexity to editing. Relations are less intuitive to the
> newbie, and our existing editors are better set up for editing tags
> than relations.
>
> If Osmarender doesn't "unify" three contiguous, identically-named ways
> into one label, that's an issue with Osmarender, not a reason to
> change an editing practice that has been established for several years.
>
> cheers
> Richard

I agree with Richard, this should be a purely rendering-side issue and
should not affect how we tag things. In general :)

As far Kosmos rendering is concerned, currently I try to keep Kosmos as
"dumb" as possible. It doesn't know what a highway really is and it
doesn't care. It just follows some simple rendering rules to draw stuff
based on specified tags. But unification of ways which share same tags
will probably be needed in the future. Then another problem could arise:
highways with sparse labeling - so we'll need some kind of setting to
tell the rendering engine how often to repeat the highway label.

Regards,
Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net