[OSM-talk] Names, split streets and relations

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 10:32:15 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv-gmane at gerv.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Karl Newman wrote:
>> > I think the "obvious" thing is to quit splitting ways just because
>> > there's a bridge or the speed limit changed... IMHO, the only reason to
>> > split ways is if the name changes or if the major type changes.
>>
>> Er, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not possible to apply a tag to
>> only part of a way. So if the speed limit or anything else changes, you
>> can't have a continuous way if you want to tag correctly.
>>
>> Gerv
>
> I was thinking about this (not my proposal, but I like the idea):
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Segmented_Tag

Personally I classify that as more complicated, more surprise, and
with the added danger of hiding information. It might work with very
good editor support, but given how long we had segments, and how the
interface for figuring out them was never really fixed, my hopes
wouldn't be too high. I think fixing the renderers for this is much
more preferable (rather than fixing the renderers to cope with these
fake segments.. which doesn't sound too fun actually).

Dave