[OSM-talk] Names, split streets and relations

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 15:50:53 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv-gmane at gerv.net>
> > wrote:

> >> Er, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not possible to apply a tag to
> >> only part of a way. So if the speed limit or anything else changes, you
> >> can't have a continuous way if you want to tag correctly.
> >>
> >> Gerv
> >
> > I was thinking about this (not my proposal, but I like the idea):
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Segmented_Tag
> >

> Personally I classify that as more complicated, more surprise, and
> with the added danger of hiding information. It might work with very
> good editor support, but given how long we had segments, and how the
> interface for figuring out them was never really fixed, my hopes
> wouldn't be too high. I think fixing the renderers for this is much
> more preferable (rather than fixing the renderers to cope with these
> fake segments.. which doesn't sound too fun actually).
>
> Dave

It's not just a rendering issue, although that's the topic of discussion. It
makes it much easier for editing and later processing (it's easy to split a
way, not as easy to recombine it). Currently, if you want to add or modify a
tag on a long way, you have to click on each section to change the tag. In
the degenerate case, you'd click on every single segment. I realize it would
require good editor support, but it's disheartening to see the "we've always
done it that way; why should we change?" crowd coming out already on a
project this young.

Karl