[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Jul 28 13:21:05 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:16:53PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> [...]
> change our maps to make them suitable for your purpose, but we should
> enable YOU to create maps that are suitable for your purpose and others
> with the same requirements.

Yes, we should. So lets see about the things Inge mentioned...

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:44:35AM +0200, Inge Wallin wrote:
> So the question then becomes, is the current renderings good?  For
> which
> purposes?

Unfortunately there are many different reasons why the rendering is
sub-optimal. Your three examples show three different reasons for why
this can happen:

>  * Names!  There are far too few names on the map, especially on low
>  zoom
> levels. It's difficult to get a feeling for where you are and orient
> yourself [...]

The biggest problem around place names is currently that there are only
a few levels for places: city, town, village, hamlet and suburb. And there
is no way to mark capitals. So you always seem to have too few or too
many place names. We need more finegrained control here, for instance by
tagging places with population numbers.

OSM needs: Tagging schema for more details on place names.
You then need: Updated mapping scheme to use those.

> * Distinctions between roads. [...]

See Freds comment. Depending on your goal you can already do that in
your own map any way you like.

OSM needs: Nothing.
You need: Change your mapping scheme.

> * Marking important roads. [...]

Probably missing data. And difficult to render well. More experimenting
and improvement of renderer software needed.

OSM needs: More data. Better rendering software.
You need: To make use of that once its available.

Jochen