[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Mon Jul 28 13:48:15 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:21:05PM +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:

> The biggest problem around place names is currently that there are only
> a few levels for places: city, town, village, hamlet and suburb. And there
> is no way to mark capitals.

There is always population=200000, etc which can help you to find the biggest ones. And what prevents us from adding capital=yes to those cities? I don't think that the tagging is insufficient today. OK there might be a more subjective "important" city tag, and there are problems with suburbs and all that. But I don't see that point as a big problem.

[skipped lots of good stuff]

spaetz