[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:06:52 BST 2008

2008/7/28 spaetz <osm at sspaeth.de>

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:21:05PM +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:
>
> > The biggest problem around place names is currently that there are only
> > a few levels for places: city, town, village, hamlet and suburb. And
> there
> > is no way to mark capitals.
>
> There is always population=200000, etc which can help you to find the
> biggest ones. And what prevents us from adding capital=yes to those cities?
> I don't think that the tagging is insufficient today. OK there might be a
> more subjective "important" city tag, and there are problems with suburbs
> and all that. But I don't see that point as a big problem.

I would say having "population =" associate with towns/suburbs etc should
drastically help with the ability to render names at appropriate zoom
levels.

Is there any way to do clever work regarding the number of major roads in
the facinity? As that could help to indicate the seniority of a locality.

As well as capitals, I'd really like to see islands named.