[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:21:42 BST 2008

2008/7/28 Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org>

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:48:15PM +0200, spaetz wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:21:05PM +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:
> >
> > > The biggest problem around place names is currently that there are only
> > > a few levels for places: city, town, village, hamlet and suburb. And
> there
> > > is no way to mark capitals.
> >
> > There is always population=200000, etc which can help you to find the
> biggest ones. And what prevents us from adding capital=yes to those cities?
> I don't think that the tagging is insufficient today. OK there might be a
> more subjective "important" city tag, and there are problems with suburbs
> and all that. But I don't see that point as a big problem.
>
> I find 207 000 places in Europe and only 57 000 population tags.
> Actually better than I thought. Probably from some import. But from the
> 1044 cities only 297 have such a tag. So there still is some work to do
> before this can be used in the renderer.
>
> I can't find a "capital" tag on MapFeatures. And its not enough anyway,
> because we need the different levels. Not very difficult to do, but
> somebody has to write that up and people have to tag the data before it
> can be rendered.
>
> So, yes, in the grand scheme of things, this problem is a small problem,
> but for the labelling of place names some more work has to be done on it.

One would think that getting all of the capitals tagged would be easy,
however going and grabbing it from sites linked to google I'm assuming would
almost certainly be a no no.

Can we use information from wikipedia?

For example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_capitals

If I can use that, then I can find all the capitals, and just tag them.