[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Jul 28 14:05:39 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:48:15PM +0200, spaetz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:21:05PM +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:
>
> > The biggest problem around place names is currently that there are only
> > a few levels for places: city, town, village, hamlet and suburb. And there
> > is no way to mark capitals.
>
> There is always population=200000, etc which can help you to find the biggest ones. And what prevents us from adding capital=yes to those cities? I don't think that the tagging is insufficient today. OK there might be a more subjective "important" city tag, and there are problems with suburbs and all that. But I don't see that point as a big problem.

I find 207 000 places in Europe and only 57 000 population tags.
Actually better than I thought. Probably from some import. But from the
1044 cities only 297 have such a tag. So there still is some work to do
before this can be used in the renderer.

I can't find a "capital" tag on MapFeatures. And its not enough anyway,
because we need the different levels. Not very difficult to do, but
somebody has to write that up and people have to tag the data before it
can be rendered.

So, yes, in the grand scheme of things, this problem is a small problem,
but for the labelling of place names some more work has to be done on it.

Jochen